But Where's The Parasite?
21st February, 2018
How is HyperParasite looking this year, you ask?
Troglobytes is giving its rogue-lite design priority, the parasite's even deadlier now that it free-roams and a fallen druglord joins the game's cast of characters all the way from Miami.
More in my third developer-diary for the upcoming shooter, as featured on the front page of IndieDB.
Play The HyperParasite Prototype on Itch.io
9th November, 2017
More news from HyperParasite this week, as Troglobytes Games releases a playable prototype of the game on itch.io for free!
Downloading which provides you with access to one fully playable level, 8 playable characters, unlockables, hi-res artwork and original music by Van Reeves.
The prototype will continue to be updated with an assortment of features that Troglobytes will be considering during the full-game's production, letting you participate in development.
More in my next dev-log announcement on the HyperParasite website.
Also, GamingTrend calls for the bodies to hit the floor..
The October Post-Milan Games Week Report
6th November, 2017
Thanks to all those who took the time and initiative to visit HyperParasite at Milan Games Week's Indie Arena last month.
Gameplay feedback was received, covered by eurogamer.it, GamesVillage.it and ProjectNerd.it, while the game even went on to feature at Barcelona Games World.
Here's a quick report of both events and an overview of the team's plans going forward in HyperParasite's Dev-log #2.
HyperParasite Arrives at Milan Games Week, 2017
28th September, 2017
Spending your weekend at Milan Games Week?
Be sure to hit the festival's Indie Area, where Troglobytes Games will be showing off a playable build of HyperParasite.
Get your hands-on the first level, one insane boss-fight, 8 characters to body-snatch, secrets and more; we'll let our next dev-log explain the rest, shall we?
Also, shout-out to True Achievements and CubedGamers for taking an interest.
22nd September, 2017
HyperParasite is now in active development by Bari, Italy based independent games studio Troglobytes Games.
A top-down, rogue-lite shoot ‘em up at its core, the game pays homage to an era of preposterous pop culture and hardcore gaming, due 2018 for PC and consoles.
As you'll learn from the On Higher Eclectic Ground section at the bottom of this page, I've been assisting with various content writing, PR and community management tasks since June, this year.
Readers might also be aware of Tenebrae: Twilight of The Gods, Troglobytes' flagship title to which I've been contributing in a similar capacity since 2015.
While Tenebrae is still very much in production, albeit at a much slower pace, HyperParasite is meant to fill the gap preceding the former's release while also serving as a means for the team to procure much needed resources.
We bare all in your first look at the game's synopsis, features and more in our introductory dev-log. Take a look.
Higher Eclectic Ground
It’s the 80’s all over again. Only this time, the human race has more than an obnoxious pop culture to contend with.
With World War III nearing its demise, Earth only just begins to catch its breath when it is threatened by yet another menace.
Unlike the preposterous mullets of its inhabitants however, this one’s invisible – a parasitic organism capable of making hosts of unsuspecting human beings, consuming what’s left of their souls and wreaking unfathomable havoc.
And it’s spreading. With a vengeance.
Martial laws have been declared to make way for a global hunt, battle-hardened law enforcers have made allies of the most degenerate of criminals, while the rest of the world is paralysed with paranoia; yet who can be trusted? Who can see it, let alone destroy it? That’s for them to worry about. For you are the enemy.
You are the organism with a mission. You are, HyperParasite.
With players picking up the titular role of humanity’s deadliest adversary-to-date –
- Being able to dynamically snatch and switch between the bodies of nearly every weapon-wielding Homo sapien they encounter, ensures bullet hell almost never ceases.
- Persistent wit and dexterity is demanded with multiple character classes to consume, host-specific abilities to exploit and a skill-based progression system to overcome.
- HyperParasite takes its rogue-lite mechanics very seriously. Procedurally generated levels, multiple game-play objectives, grueling waves of enemies, deranged bosses and perma-death make it nigh-impossible to beat in a single run.
- All while Troglobytes’ in-house dungeon-generation technology, Vania, ensures the seamless randomisation of visuals, sub-levels & secrets.
HyperParasite will also feature local co-operative multiplayer, letting players cherish its characters, urban legends, items and pop-culture references with a mullet-wielding friend.
HyperParasite is being prepared for a 2018 launch on Steam. Console versions will follow. Meanwhile a playable prototype is now available on itch.io for free, providing access to —
- Downtown, a fully-playable level that randomly differs in layout with every play-through.
- Eight Playable Characters to Body-Snatch. Wield bats, bottles, rifles and explosives as you wage all-out war against martial law.
- Unlockable Levels, Secrets & Future Add-ons. Currently inclusive of one hidden level and multiple items to discover.
- Hi-Res Cover Artwork & an Original Synth-wave Soundtrack. Featuring Guerilla and Space Marine by Mr. Reeves.
The title is Troglobytes Games second IP in-development, the first being its multi-console, Metroidvania ARPG, Tenebrae: Twilight of The Gods.
Despite concluding Tenebrae’s prototype phase in December, 2016 after more than a year of development, the team found itself unable to secure for the game a suitable financial partner/investor/publisher.
Consequently, it was decided to direct Troglobytes’ focus towards much smaller, more feasible projects in an attempt to independently fund Tenebrae’s production. This is where HyperParasite comes in.
The game’s structure and core mechanics is such that it allows Troglobytes Games to expand and iterate on the game content (procedurally generated levels, dozens of unlockable character classes, items, powers, skills, etc.), which in turn provides for plenty of publishing options. The team however, is yet to decide the best route for the project.
About Troglobytes Games
Troglobytes is a small independent video-game development studio based in sunny Southern Italy, founded by both veterans and young talents.
As every developer should, it loves both playing and making video games, going so far as to maintain an original arcade gaming cabinet at its HQ to return to for repeated inspiration.
Its mission is to create innovative, high-quality games across a variety of platforms using the latest in technology, while focusing on storytelling and aesthetics.
Additionally, the team’s members are known to frequently take on freelance contracts and outsourced projects within the industry; from game design to 2D/3D artwork & animation, a complete roster of the titles they’ve contributed to so far can be seen on the studio’s website.
HyperParasite is being worked upon by Troglobytes Games’ core members in association with select external collaborators. Besides being a certified Playstation® developer, the studio is also a part of Microsoft’s ID@Xbox Program.
On Higher Eclectic Ground
From June, 2017, Sean Braganza has been assisting Troglobytes Games’ core team with content writing, copywriting, community and PR management tasks pertinent to HyperParasite.
Thus far, this has involved —
- Putting into effect a collaboration between Troglobytes Games and Van Reeves, a freelance music composer to whom Sean is associated as manager. Reeves has contributed a total of two background music tracks to HyperParasite’s current OST.
- Creating a script for HyperParasite’s original teaser video, which was sent as an application for participation in the 2017 iteration of Italy’s largest gaming consumer show, Milan Games Week. The application was successfully accepted.
- Developing a stylised description of the game’s synopsis, game-play features and USP to be used for social media profiles and other marketing purposes.
- Structuring, formatting and creating HyperParasite’s first official announcement of development and its associated press release.
- Editing in-game/narrative text to ensure quality and coherence.
Besides co-ordinating press outreach, Sean is also involved in the creation of dev-logs, social media activity and associated marketing material for the game. All updates, blurbs, press releases and content generated by him in this capacity will be logged in an Updates section at the head of this page and the Recent Press Releases tab of the sidebar.
Press coverage that has resulted from the same meanwhile, will be seen embedded under a What’s been Said About HyperParasite tab of the sidebar. For information on Tenebrae: Twilight of The Gods, Troglobytes’ flagship title in-production to which also Sean is contributing in a similar capacity, visit its profile here on Higher Eclectic Ground.